Friday, October 2, 2009

Blessings


This morning the prayer shawl knitters from my church met at our local coffeehouse, The Blend. This shawl, which I have been knitting off and on since July, was blocked and ready to go. I had a faint idea of the intended recipient, but was not certain. While we were having our hot drinks (it is cold here today!) we found out that one of our fellow knitters is still not well after a fall she had several weeks ago. Right then I knew this shawl was for her. It is made of luxury yarn, Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, so it could not go to a sick household where it could be tossed in a machine. We laid our hands on the shawl and prayed for our friend. Immediately following our gathering I took the shawl to her. She exclaimed, "It is my favorite color!" as I put it around her shoulders. She looked beautiful! It was indeed her color. I knew right then that the Holy Spirit had guided us to the right place.




The pattern is Cheryl Oberle's Feather and Fan
Triangle Shawl from her book Folk Shawls. One feature I especially like are the long tails, made by extra increases on each of the side points of the triangle. These long tails make the shawl wrap nicely about the shoulders and neck.
Of course there was all that blissful garter stitch, too!
I only put about 5 repeats of Feather and Fan on the border of the shawl and it still is a fairly ample covering.
It makes me happy knowing this shawl has found its way home.










1 comment:

KPiep said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes that my knitting calls to its home sometimes! It sounds like a perfect match, and I'm very happy for both you and your friend.

Although I'm not a part of an official shawl/knitting ministry, I have prayed over certain pieces before...and I feel that you can really tell and feel that in the finishe objects.

Printer Friendly

Print